Here I used the four-view mode to monitor what I was doing and made sure that everything was exactly in the right position in all angles.
I then created and edited textures to add on. I used various options, such as Glow for the neon visors, skirt fans and light bulbs.
I then rigged and weight painted my model. I had never learnt how to rig and animate a 3D character model before, so this took me a very long time to learn and master!
I managed to get the majority of the model weight painting correctly, although due to time constraints not all of it was perfect. I spent a whole night weight painting the legs and hips though because I wanted to make sure that when I got round to animating Lumi’s run cycle, the legs would at least work well!
After I rigged and weight painted the model, it was time to animate! I used some running references online to help me pin down the essential key poses using the rotate function, and then manually key-framed it all and adjusted it so that it could loop perfectly.
I then moved onto modelling the environments. I stuck to using basic shapes and fairly primative objects to reduce render time and also give the world a more geometric and minimalistic look that focused more on the atmosphere rather than the objects themselves. I did however, create some ambitious models such as the glowing path that I eventually animated Lumi surfing on. That was done using the Bezier spline tool and then having a rectangular spline lathe along it.
I then copied and pasted Lumi into the scenes and started animating her into it. Thankfully, when copying models from one file to another in Cinema 4D, it also copies any already-existing animation. So Lumi’s walk cycle got copied over too! This really saved me a lot of time.
I then added in camera movement. The majority of cameras where moving along a spline in most of the shots, some of them targeted onto Lumi, others not depending on what the shot was. I used the rotate function to move the un-targeted cameras around.
I added in lighting after modelling and animating the scene to help give the final touches. The lights that I used were mostly visible and volumetric. Because the environment was so dark, I really had to be careful with where I placed my lights and how strong or weak they were. All lights were coloured in some shade of light or dark blue depending on the effect I wanted to achieve. This really helped bring my animation together in the final render, and played a major part in setting the atmosphere.
I drew up a final design and imported it into Cinema 4D to use as a basis for my model. I used the Spline tool to create the separate parts of my character and then lathed, extruded and manually edited (via points and edges,) the parts until they were right. I then rigged, weight painted and animated the scenes.
After I (painstakingly) rendered, edited and re-rendered all of the scenes it was time to put it all together in After Effects! I imported all of the files and started compositing the shots accordingly, using my storyboard and the chosen audio as my base.
I added in the PEGI 12 age rating graphic and production studio logo at the beginning to make the trailer more realistic and genuine.
I then imported all of the files into After Effects and cut, edited and arranged the shots around to see what worked and what didn’t. I worked in HDTV 1080 29.97 fps and eventually rendered the final in the H.264 codec to conserve file size.
The in-game HUD graphics were originally drawn in in Photoshop beforehand before being imported in. I added in and edited the counter in After Effects so that it synced with whenever Lumi got a block in that one scene.
Last but not least, I created the title for my trailer. I wanted to achieve this radial lighting effect, so I searched up tutorials online that helped teach me how to use the camera and 3D mechanics in After Effects. I also threw in a lens flare to make it look more cinematic. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome!