For our Promotional Flyers project, I decided on creating a magical fantasy staff. I first sketched some ideas out into my sketchbook, then created a 3-view sketch of a final design and began building it in Cinema4D.
Once preparations were complete, I opened up Cinema4D and started building it. I used a basic capsule shape to create the main part of the staff. I elongated and adjusted its dimensions by using the Move and Scale tool.
Before I moved on, I wanted to be able to easily reference and compare my model to my sketches to make it as accurate as possible. So, I went into the multiple window view mode by clicking on the far right icon on the top-right hand corner of my current working view window.
Then, I selected the Right view window and under Mode I clicked on View Settings and then went to the Back tab and uploaded an image from my folders.
The image then appeared in the background of my model on that view, giving me something to instantly refer to when modelling to keep it accurate.
I moved onto making the coil at the top end of the staff. I edited the properties of a Helix spline so that it matched my design and used a Circle spline to follow alone the path, creating a coil.
After that, I made the coiled shape into an Editable Object. This allowed me to customise the points and faces of my shape a little further so that I could get it to coil around in a specific way at the end. I used the Knife tool to cut in new points in the object that I could then bend and shape.
I then went into Sculpting mode by going to the top right-hand corner of the program and selecting it in the drop-down.
Here, I could start to really mould my piece and fine-tune the shape and surface contours.
I had to create quite a few Subdivisions in order to achieve the right amount of smoothness and extensions to the basic shapes, which unfortunately made the program lag quite a bit whilst I was working. Although in the end, it wasn’t that bad and I could still work without having Cinema4D crash on me!
I also went back and forth to the basic editing tools on the left Editable Object toolbar to help with creating extra parts and points.
This part definitely took the longest, as I really had to work on the details and shapes of the staff to make it look like it could be smoothly carved wood. It was incredibly fun to sculpt though!
After most of the gruelling shaping was finished, it was time to add the final parts and texture it.
In my final design, the staff had four gemstones floating in-between the branches. I created these in a new file. I went to the Front view window and drew in three diamond shapes using the Linear Spline tool.
I then spread the three splines out in the Right view window to create depth. Once I had spaced them out, I used the Loft tool to create a shape out of the three splines!
I then textured this by using editing a pre-made material. I chose a diamond-like material and changed the properties a little so that it had more colour and crystal-like properties to it.
After I had finished texturing it, it was time to copy it into my staff model. I pretty much just copied and pasted the stone over from one file to the other. From there, I resized it and moved it so that it was in place. I then repeated these steps for the other three smaller stones, adjusting the dimensions and positioning so that they were in place and varied slightly.
And last but not least, I added the final wooden texture to my staff! I edited a pre-made material like how I did with my gemstones. I then dragged the material to the staff layer to apply it. I also added various lights to help with the setting of the staff and the composing. I saved it for the final time and rendered it. It didn’t actually take as long as I anticipated for it to render, which was great!
To save it as a png with a transparent background for my Photoshopping, I had to change the rendering settings. I selected the file type to be .png with the alpha channel (transparency) options selected.
I then went through the final rendering and saved the 3D model as an image.