For the first design for my BFI Sci-Fi Poster college assignment, I decided to use my robot screen print that I made earlier on as the main component of one of my BFI film posters.
I first opened my already existing robot vector that I used to create the robot screen print earlier on. I then created a new canvas by going to File, New…
I made it A3 size in the start-up window. I clicked OK and activated the Background layer by double clicking it and clicking okay.
Once I finished editing it, I hit Enter on the keyboard.
To change the colour of the robot, I went back to the Lock Transparency icon and toggled it again on by clicking on it, making sure that I was on the robot layer, not the background. I then went to the Bucket icon in the tool box and selected a colour in the Hue Cube in the top right hand corner. I wanted to have my robots imitate the CMYK colour scheme (cyan, magenta and yellow). For this robot, I made him a blue. I chose a bolder blue instead of a cyan blue so that the robot stood out more and didn’t wash out against the white background.
I then toggled the Lock Transparency off and duplicated the layer by right clicking on the robot layer and going to Duplicate Layer. I then repeated the steps from my previous robot to this new robot and filled it in with a different colour – this time, magenta.
Once I finished colouring my robot, I quickly renamed my layers so that I knew which layer had what on it. Then, by pressing cmd + t on the keyboard, I was able to rotate and transform the robots to create a composition. When I finished editing, I hit Enter and re-arranged the layers.
I duplicated the blue robot one last time, this time by pressing cmd + j (Ctrl + j) on the keyboard as a shortcut. Changing the colour to yellow, I then transformed that robot to fit in the poster the way I wanted it to. I brought it underneath all the other robot layers so that it was at the very back.
The robots were a little hard to distinguish against the clashing colours, so I decided to give them a white outline to help make them easier to recognise. Starting with my blue robot, I went to the fx icon along the bottom of the layers panel and went to Outer Glow…
I changed the settings in the window to create a white outline around the blue robot.
I repeated this step for my other robots as well so that they all had a white outline.
I then moved onto adding the text and logos. I went to the Type tool in the tool box and chose a font to use for my poster. The font I used is called DS-Digital and I chose it because it resembled the font of a digital clock, suggesting technology and machinery just like the robots. I edited the font in the Character tool box.
To create the blur in the text, I rasterised the text layers into normal layers by right clicking it and selecting Rasterize Type. This converts the type layer into a regular layer, making it easier to edit as an image instead of text. I then duplicated the layers and changed the colours to the other CMYK colours by locking the transparency and going over it like how I did before with the robots.
Once I had all three colours done, I changed all of their layer styles to Multiply by going to the drop-box at the top-left of the layers panel. This changes how the colours on the layer will behave – instead of having normal colours on top of other colours, the Multiply will add to the colours underneath it creating a dark mixture of the two. Seeing as cyan, magenta and yellow combined make black, the text should now be almost black.
To create the blur, I simply moved the top two layers a few pixels to the left and right of the first text layer, making the magenta and yellow slip out a little from the blue. An easy and accurate way to move the layers to the side is to select the layer and then hold down cmd (Ctrl) on your keyboard and use the arrow keys to move them. Each press of the arrow keys will move it by 1 pixel.
I also adjusted the transparency of the text to make it less bold. Once I was happy with how the text looked, I merged down the three layers one by one (to preserve the Multiply effect) and added a white outline to help it contrast the background graphics so that it was more readable.
I then added the required logos and other text in at the bottom. I changed the colours to fit the image above it and make them more integrated into the design. The vector logos and type were easy to change just by locking the transparency, but the TOTAL FILM logo wasn’t a vector. So instead, I went to Image, Adjustments, Hue/Saturation and changed the hue of the logo to a blue.
However, because the text and logos were all in blue some of it got lost in the robot behind it. So I gave them a white background by merging the layers together and adding a solid Outer Glow.
And with that, the poster was finished! I saved the file as both a Photoshop file and a JPEG and TIFF file.